After looking at different copyright laws, I am now aware that they are much more complicated than I previously thought. I didn’t know that if I bought or rented a movie I couldn’t show it in the classroom even if I wasn’t charging students to see it. I also didn’t know that you had to get permission to use certain written works. I did learn that Disney has very strict use laws and that surprised me, it seems like they just want money for everything when they try to portray themselves as a very kid friendly company.
I think that copyright laws originally had very good intentions of protecting creators. It seems as if they now go a bit overboard. I understand that people want to get paid for their work, but when does it all become too much? It seems that they have a specific rule for all occasions. Schools aren’t looking to make money off of the materials they use, teachers are just trying to help students learn. As copyright laws become more and more rigid, creative teaching becomes increasingly limited.
It’s hard to stay up on fair use and copyright laws, as teachers we must work hard to ensure we are following the laws and our schools are protected. We can do this by reading the rules and staying up to date on them. Teachers can also speak with their peers to ensure they are current with fair use and copyright. I think it’s important that the districts do their part in making sure teachers have the right permission and schools fees are paid. Copyright and fair use laws can be confusing, but if everyone works together to stay on the same page then teachers, classrooms, and school districts should be protected.
I will ensure copyright is followed in my classroom by making the kids aware of the laws. We’ll go over what is permissible and what cannot be used. These copyright laws don’t just apply to the classroom and our students need to be prepared for the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment