Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Chatspeak

Is chatspeak destroying the English language? I’m not sure I fully agree with either side of this argument. I agree with Linda Howard that “when students are thoroughly immersed in the culture of instant messaging, meaningful written expression may be hindered because their mindset is that of the shared culture of other students.” But I do think that if a teacher educates them of the proper English language and provides exact rules for what they expect then the students will know how they should perform. I think that students should be aware that there are times to use chatspeak and there are times to not use it. I think it’s up to the teacher to clearly define these times.

 

I think that chatspeak can be a way for students to express themselves and they have fun with it. I do think some questions come up regarding when in the classroom it is and isn’t ok to use chatspeak. And if it is a way to engage students maybe it can be incorporated into a lesson. As teachers we need to quit fighting the interests of students and work with them to help kids learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment