Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Wikipedia Credibility

I understand that Wikipedia is not a credible source, anyone and everyone can input their ideas into any subject. I do think it’s a good place to start research. Wikipedia can help inspire ideas and from Wikipedia, research can be done to discover the credibility of an idea or subject.

 

As a teacher I would allow students to use Wikipedia. I think that it can help give students an idea of where to start. Often times just starting a project or research can be an overwhelming task. I would however make sure that students are required to use more than one source. I would also go over the reason why Wikipedia can’t always be trusted and help the students see why it shouldn’t be used as a primary source.

 

I like the idea of having kids use the internet for research. It can really help to broaden their horizons. I do believe that students need guidance and teachers need to make sure kids are staying on track. I think using portaportal and webquests can help give students the freedom to research what they want while giving them the guidance they need as well as protecting yourself as the teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment